Stainforth Waterfalls & Peaks
Stainforth Village is situated just a short distance from Settle on the banks of the River Ribble in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. Set in an area of stunning countryside the highlights of our photography workshop include two very different waterfalls plus 360 degree wide stretching views towards Ingleborough and Pen-y-Ghent. We also take in areas of rugged moorland and limestone pavement with a lone tree.
After an initial briefing and refreshments in Stainforth Village we make our way up Goat Scar Lane and as we gain a bit of height this begins to reveal our far reaching views over the great Yorkshire countryside including field barns and the famous dry stone walls. Our first waterfall is Catrigg Force, a lovely secluded two step waterfall enclosed between steep rock faces and surrounded with lush vegetation (depending on the time of year). Catrigg Force was one of Elgar’s favourite places and he drew inspiration for some of his most famous works from the Yorkshire Dales. It’s a great place to practice composition, find those lead in lines and smaller subjects, and try out longer exposures with the fast-moving water.
From the falls we make our way up and across open moorland which on a clear day offers fantastic views all around. We will have a few stops on the moorland depending on how the light is on the day, which will affect our subject selection. Options include views across moorland toward Pen-y-Ghent and across Ribblesdale to the flat-topped peak of Ingleborough. Our main stop on the moor will be at Winskill Stones. Here we will find some beautiful areas of limestone pavement with the vast countryside as a backdrop with many subjects and compositions to find, in particular a fine lone tree on the main area of limestone.
From Winskill we descend Stainforth Scar enjoying views over the valley on the way and back through the village to our final stop at the mighty Stainforth Force waterfall on the River Ribble below the fine old Packhorse Bridge, a superb place to spend some time and capture the many and varied subjects on offer.
Approximate walking time - 3 hours
Difficulty - Easy to Medium
Please be aware that in places around the waterfalls it can be very slippery when wet and we cross open moorland which is rough underfoot.
- camera_altClick to read about the Post Processing sessionFor a photographer, typically only around 20 per cent of your time is spent taking the actual pictures and the rest is devoted to post processing at a computer screen. It is a vastly important part of great photography and knowing a few tricks can transform your well-composed and exposed images into visually stunning works of fine art. As a supplement to your day’s workshop, we welcome you to join us the following day for an afternoon discussion and presentation of how to boost your images using Lightroom and Photoshop. The session is held in the centre of Harrogate and we invite you to bring along your favourite images from the workshop for helpful feedback by Sam and Mark. There is a small additional charge of £35 for this session.
We don’t have the facilities to make prints at the post-processing session, but we do offer a supplementary print service, so if you have a particular favourite image taken on the workshop day we can supply an unmounted A3 print on 100% cotton fine art paper. The print is supplied along with a CD containing the processed Photoshop file and a print-ready JPEG file of your image. The print service costs £35 including UK delivery and full details are supplied during the post-processing session.
There is also the opportunity to upload your images to a dedicated group on the image-sharing site Flickr, which is only accessible to workshop participants. This will enable you to continue discussing your work with us and your fellow students, so even after the workshop is over, there is continued support to help develop your photography further.
2018 Workshop Dates
£120 per person
Workshop and Processing
£155 per person
Maximum - 6 persons
Please note that the post-processing session is held the day after the workshop in Harrogate.
You can book online by using the buttons via PayPal, or please tel: 01423 550138 or 07767 628764
- WORKSHOP CALENDAR
- Aysgarth Falls
- Bolton Abbey & Strid Wood
- Malham Cove & Gordale Scar
- Ribblehead & The Three Peaks
- Stainforth Waterfalls & Peaks